Welcome to a refreshed edition of Design Brief, it’s the 141st issue already! This time you can read about:3D-printed buildings on the moon. Why should animation creators have a TikTok account? How to choose the right UX research method? And more!
In the news
- BIG, a 3D-printed building company, and NASA are collaborating to create an infrastructure for living on the moon. It will look like this.
- If you create animations, you may consider setting up a TikTok account.
- Check out Figma’s recipe for building an open and inclusive design process.
- Nintendo launched a new RC Mario Kart and it looks terrific.
Case study of our choice
Do you need to be good at drawing to be a graphic designer? Should designers draw? This question is asked by every budding designer, but even senior experts don’t have the right answer. Maybe because it’s not a “yes or no” question.
However, after looking at this design you may come to the conclusion that creating hand-drawn patterns is a pretty useful skill. But...
I believe we still have infinite space for technology to support us designers. A diverse skill set is what makes each designer unique. Better tools give a louder voice to your imagination.
Tips and tricks
- This quick quiz will help you decide on the right UX research method.
- Pagination, infinite scroll, or a “load more” button - which one to choose?
- How do you set metrics? What role should metrics play for designers? A former Product Design VP @ Facebook answers these questions.
- This piece may come in handy if you are not sure how to measure a design’s impact on business.
- Do you know how deceptive designs are making us spend more in online stores? Learn more about dark patterns.
Designer of the issue
Our illustrators chose Sua’s works as their inspiration quite some time ago, focusing especially on the composition of her designs. Her skills are obvious, but what made me choose her as the designer of the issue is the way she uses colours and how these decisions affect the whole.
Which design metrics should you be tracking?
But don’t try to list random KPIs and measure them. I strongly recommend using specific frameworks to measure success in design. Here’s a link to the frameworks that can inspire you.
Number of the week
Google announced that the company will be paying $1 billion to news publishers to license their content. Read the news here.
Talk to you soon,