Apps for Good is an NGO that partners with educators to deliver its technology learning courses to young people between 8 and 18 years of age.
Its courses are available to teachers through a dedicated e-learning platform. As a part of their growth plans the organisation’s leadership decided to revamp Apps for Good’s core software.
- Designing and developing new features, including the People’s Choice Awards - a platform where the open public can vote on students’ projects.
- Designing, developing and choosing the right CMS system for the teachers’ courses platform. Implementing it in several country-specific versions.
- Implementing a student dashboard on the basis of previously written code.
Netguru was chosen to develop a platform that allows teachers, students, and volunteer experts to engage and facilitate technology teaching. Apps for Good was already a complex project operating on a large scale since 2012. On top of that, the project had been developed and maintained by several different teams over the years.
- After the initial scoping session, Netguru provided a full stack development team able to jointly work on the development of the platform, as well as the improvement of application’s UI.
- Alchemy was suggested and later implemented as the CMS of the AfG platform.
- The project’s front-end code was reorganised using the BEM approach. A custom Bootstrap style structure was implemented.
Apps for Good is helping more than a thousand schools and ten of thousands of students around the globe every year. After three years of cooperation, Netguru is still one of its main tech partners.
- The Netguru team has created a tailored interface suitable for different groups of users (teachers, students, and the volunteer experts).
- The updated version of the platform’s modules dedicated to educators was released on time and within budget, receiving great feedback from the community.
- A platform for browsing through courses was re-implemented and adjusted to country-specific versions.
- The cooperation between Netguru and Apps for Good continues.
- 3 years of cooperation
- 100K + students reached since 2010
- 1,375 industry experts in 40 countries
- 5 team members